Introducing potassium silicate
Potassium silicate is a family member of chemicals with a wide range of physical and chemical properties. In below there are some of the properties of this product:
- Number cas 1312-76-1
- molecular formula K2O؟ nSiO2؟ xH2O
- Mixing ratio (M/R)
- Color and mode: Colorless or slightly transparent, odorless.
- Specific gravity of potassium silicate 1.15 ~ 1.6 is produced in 20 is
- Liquid potassium silicate’s PH is usually produced at 10.0 ~ 14.0.
- Composite formula K 2 O 3 Si
- Molecular Weight
- Powder’s appearance is white
- Melting degree 967
- Exact mass 889084 g/mol
Various properties of potassium silicate
this material is a very widely used soluble. Used in different parts such as construction, restoration, mineral paints and electrodes. For more information on the applications of potassium silicate, pay attention to the following of the essay:
Asbestos cement roof
this material can be used on asbestos cement roofs. A mixture of pigment, clay, and silicate is typically used to covering the sheets.
Silica gel can be used to make special catalysts in the absence of sodium ions. Potassium silicate gels are also used as a culture medium in connection with plant physiology, mycology and etc.
This chemical is used in ethylene glycol antifreeze formulations to protect ferrous metal parts in engines.
In agricultural activities, liquid potassium silicate fertilizer is used as a source of solution of potassium and silica, which leads to alkalization of the soil.
this material is also used as a supplement to regular fertilizers. For more information on the uses of this fertilizer in agriculture, please pay attention to the following notes:
- Silicon-containing combinations are valuable to the plant.
- Stems van become thicker
- This chemical makes the plant more resistant to drought and also resists wilting
- The plant gets bigger leaves and fruits (because the stem can bear more weight)
- The plant cell walls become thicker
- This substance is more resistant to sap sucking insects such as spider mites and various pathogenic fungi such as powdery mildew.
- this material can minimize the pollution of soil environment and water while cultivating nutrient soluble that advance the global horticultural industry.
- Solid potassium silicate fertilizer has a lower dissolution rate in water than short fertilizers (synthetic fertilizers, ammonium sulfate, urea and etc.)
- Potassium (K2O) slowly dissolves in the weak acid produced by plant roots and is effectively absorbed by crops, so fertilizer application times can be reduced without soil acidification.
High heat resistance
- Impregnating wood with potassium silicate solution is an easy and inexpensive way to protect woods used in houses from fire. first The wood is saturated with a dilute, almost neutral solution of potassium silicate, and after drying, usually one or two layers of the same solution are used again, but this time more concentrated.
- Due to its high fire resistance of potassium silicate, it is used in refractory bricks.
- this material has a high resistance to temperature rising. Hence, the use of this compound is increasing in industries such as welding that need to withstand fire and heat. Good compatibility of KASIL potassium silicates with fluorine silica, clay, refractory chips (GROG), can be used in refractory mortars and chemical resistant.
Metal and architectural coatings
This product is an excellent material for metal surfaces, decorative bedding, concrete and brick. Colorless and clear potassium silicate retains the properties of pigments and produces clean and excellent color products.
Water-soluble mineral paint
this material is mixed with zinc (zinc powder) and used as a protective coating for steel bridges and various steel structures.
this material has high solubility and resistance to phosphoric acid reduction in cleaning solutions and can also be used as a cleaning factor for metal surfaces. Other properties include the following:
- In phosphate-based surface metal cleaners, SiO2 and K2O stabilize phosphate.
- This substance can improve the alkaline benefits of K2O.
- Can prevent corrosion of metal raw materials.
Welding electrode coating agent
In late days, sodium silicate was used for the main welding electrode because it showed stable ARC in DC equipment. But sodium silicate was highly unstable in AC ARC equipment, so potassium silicate eventually replaced sodium silicate. Potassium silicate forms a slowly burning ARC. This is important not only for AC welding but also for stainless steel.
Liquid potassium silicate makes better the wetting and cleaning properties of soaps and detergents. this material creates a lot of foam in liquid and paste soaps.
- Liquid potassium silicate is very good for electrode connectors.
- This substance creates a fluid component with a permanent hot arc.
- The arc it creates burns slowly and silently. This feature is very important not only for AC welding but also for stainless steel.
Liquid potassium silicate is used worldwide as an adhesive to hold phosphor particles to the surface of black TV tubes. Electronic potassium silicate products require very high purity, especially if they are without nickel, copper and other materials that can stain the screen.
Coating and mortar
Potassium silicate is a useful pigment for bricks and concrete stones. this material does not whiten surfaces as much as sodium silicate, so it is used to strengthen concrete and prevent dust. This silica product fills the pores of the concrete surface and makes it less permeable to other oils and liquids.